Saturday, November 10, 2007

Church Directories - A New Adventure


It all started when my church decided it was time for a new directory. “A necessary evil” was the opinion of most, who hated the assembly-line, curt experience that is associated with church directory photography.

“Why does it have to be like that?” I wondered to myself. I thought long and hard. I developed a vision for a process that was partnership-based and fun. I presented it to our church council, and it was accepted.

We decided on a two-week period for photography, and I moved one of my studio sets (and all of my lights) to the church. (I got oohs and aahs from everyone about the set, by the way. Who says church directory photography can’t be elegant?)

Everyone left their session saying, “That was fun!” Many folks told me how pleased they were that the process was painless – high praise indeed from a group of people who prefer a root canal to a directory photography experience!

Best of all, I thought it was a blast, too. (To be honest, even I wasn’t expecting it to be so much fun.) And I’ve already been contacted by a couple of other churches, who have heard about the Cherie Renae church photography experience. (I just finished the directory photography at the end of October, so word travels fast…)

So, the moral of the story is: church directories can be fun, both for the congregation AND the photographer! Who knew?

No comments: