Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Mission, Vision, Goal - the first of 4 reflections

I don’t know about you, but I have felt bombarded over the past decade or more with MISSION, VISION, GOAL. We are asked to define these in our personal lives, in our social organizations, and in our jobs. We are assaulted by placards displayed from board rooms to waiting rooms, proudly emblazoning the MVG’s of others.

I always found this exercise to be…well, shallow. Our church recently went through this process, and with much respect and appreciation to those who worked so hard on this project, I really felt that you could stick our new MVG on any church or charitable organization, and it would work just fine. It was pretty generic, as these statements tend to be.

But, as part of my New Year’s resolution, I decided to tackle the job of creating my own MVG statements, if for no other reason than to convince myself of the futility of such exercises. And so I truly pondered: What is it that makes Cherie Renae tick, both personally and professionally?

In my next post, I'll talk about what I learned.

No comments: